Join the Conscious Revolution!
I just spent the last few hours engrossed with watching the conference just held with the National Clean Energy Project. This is a must see for anyone invested and interested in renewable energy, energy independence, the economic solutions, national security and the climate solutions.
I was stuck by the optimistic tone, passion and cooperation of all those speaking.
Major leaders from government, business, labor and non-governmental organizations agreed on four key recommendations to reform U.S. energy policy. These principles would boost new renewable energy production, transmission and distribution and reduce the nation’s dependence on foreign oil. These leaders included
• Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid,
• Secretary of Energy Steven Chu
• Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar
• House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
• President Bill Clinton
• Vice President Al Gore
• Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee Chair Jeff Bingaman (D-NM)
• House Energy Independence and Global Warming Select Committee Chair Ed Markey (D-MA)
• Senate Energy and Water Subcommittee Chairman, Appropriations Committee Byron Dorgan (D-ND)
• Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Acting Chairman Jon Wellinghoff
• Former Governor George Pataki (R-NY)
• Owens-Corning CEO Michael Thaman
• Wal-Mart Stores Inc. Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors and former CEO Lee Scott
• American Electric Power President and CEO Mike Morris
• Sierra Club Executive Director Carl Pope
• Riverkeeper Alliance Chief Prosecuting Attorney Robert Kennedy, Jr.
• American Wind Energy Association CEO Denise Bode
• National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners President Fred Butler
• Green for All Founder and President Van Jones
• Service Employees International Unions President Andy Stern
• U.S. Green Building Council President and CEO Rick Fedrizzi
• Sea Change Foundation President Nat Simons
This group of passionate and inspiring individuals is a breath of fresh air. This summit will hopefully create a clean energy plan to bring our country into a clean green future we all want for ourselves and for generations to come.
The wise focus on energy efficiency and the transmission lines being upgraded to use smart grid technologies was fantastic.
The point of widely distributed, decentralized renewable energy generation was emphasized by President Bill Clinton.
A good point that less that 25% of Americans understand that the single biggest user of energy in this country is residential and commercial buildings… 40% of the energy is used by them 74% of electricity is consumed by them. Working on energy efficiency is vital for the short term and long term solutions.
I was also impressed that the point was made over and over that this is not a time to wait and see… this was a time to make a cooperative and economically wise plan NOW. And to implement it ASAP. We do not have the economic luxury to wait to take action.